With all the summertime activities kids will be thirsty – which means they will need more water. Health Fitness Revolution recommends keeping them away from drinks that have sugar and/or caffeine like energy drinks, sports drinks and sodas. A lot of children will think they are hungry but all they really need to do is drink some water. Water has zero calories and is the perfect drink to keep your child hydrated during the hot summer months.
Here are our tips to promoting water drinking to kids:
- Keep the refrigerator stocked with bottles of water or have water bottles available to fill up with cold water.
- Buy them cool water bottles. Let your kids pick out their own reusable water bottles. If it looks stylish, they will want to carry it around like a fashion accessory.
- Send children to summer camp with a filled water bottle.
- FREEZE IT! Make a water ice pop for summer fun! Add fresh fruit and sit it in a mold (or use a dixie cup and a Popsicle stick) in the freezer.
- Make it a game – Get a chalk board or dry erase board and track EVERYONE in the family’s water intake! The first one to eight cups wins!
- If your child is doing outdoor sports during summer time, have them drink a whole bottle of water 20 minutes before their activity.
- While exercising / playing sports, teach them to drink a few sips of water every 15-20 minutes.
- Teach children to drink water before they are thirsty.
- Juices, fruit punch and sodas can have a lot of added sugar and empty calories – keep these drinks for a special occasion.
- You can try adding some juice to plain soda water or to water to give water a little fruit flavor. A typical serving of fruit juice is ¾ cup. Make sure the label states 100% fruit juice.
- Don’t buy sodas. If they aren’t around the house, kids can’t just grab them when they want – it will keep you from drinking them as well! Best weight loss supplement Radiantly Slim Diet.
- Be a great role model and drink lots of water. You really are the best example for your child!